We run two types of group courses – one day multiple birth antenatal courses designed for first and second time parents pregnant with twins or triplets throughout the UK and a shorter workshop in London for second time parents pregnant with multiples.
All courses are run by qualified midwives or NCT trained antenatal teachers with extensive experience of twin pregnancies and multiple births. The course facilitators are happy to discuss any concerns you may have prior to the course or to follow up with any questions you may have at a later date. Courses are run with Twins Trust ( previously known as Tamba) to ensure that couples receive proper support during their twin or triplet pregnancy and postnatally.
ONE DAY MULTIPLE BIRTH ANTENATAL COURSE
The aim of the course is to meet the needs of couples or single parents expecting twins, triplets or quads by enabling them to explore their twin birth and postnatal choices using up to date evidence-based information. Groups set their own agenda for the course at the start of the day but these are topics that often come up:-
- Factors influencing type of birth for twins or triplets, vaginal birth for twins or C section
- Role of birth partner in vaginal or twin C section birth
- What to expect in labour and how twin birth differs from singleton birth
- How can you cope with labour pain and what choices do you have
- How to make a twin birth plan
- How to make Caesarean birth for twins or triplets special
- Recovery after both types of birth
- Prematurity – can you prevent it
- What happens if twins or triplets arrive early
- How to breastfeed twins or triplets or bottle feed twins
- Co-bedding twins or more and routines for twins
- Impact on your relationship of having twins or triplets
- What equipment do you need for twins and triplets
- How to get out and about with twins or more
The course is a one day course with a 10am start- 4.30pm to allow for those couples who may be travelling from further afield. Group sizes are kept small with a maximum of eight couples so that everyone has an opportunity to ask questions and discuss topics. Couples are provided with each other’s contact details (if they give permission), to start developing a vital support network of other multiple parents. There are social opportunities throughout the day to allow participants time to get to know each other and groups often go to lunch together. The cost is £175 per couple.
Sessions are usually joined by a local family with twin or triplet babies who come to share their experiences and answer questions on the day-to-day practicalities of life with twins or triplets. We recommend that you attend an ante-natal course after 20 weeks of pregnancy but please book early as courses get booked up quickly.
WHY CHOOSE A TWINS TRUST AND TWINBIRTH ANTENATAL COURSE
SECOND TIMERS MULTIPLE BIRTH WORKSHOP
This short course is designed to prepare second time parents for the arrival of their twins or triplets.
- Factors influencing type of birth for twins or triplets, vaginal or C section
- How multiple birth differs from singleton birth and what choices do you have
- Practicalities – co-bedding, feeding, getting out and about with three or more
- How to prepare siblings for the arrival of twins or triplets
Sessions are usually joined by a local family with twins plus one who come to share their experiences and answer questions on the day-to-day practicalities of parenting multiples and their siblings. Courses are run with Twins Trust to ensure that couples receive proper support during their pregnancy and postnatally. The cost is £80 per person.